This is the prefect summer date meal. Portioned for two, the summer vegetable salad is crisp and fresh, and the toasted rice garnish lends a nutty flavor to the chilled vegetables. Thickly sliced New York Steak accompanied by golden brown mushrooms, a freshly sliced orange and BT McElrath Dark Chocolate make this the perfect meal for two.
Cast iron pan (to fry steak)
Grinder (coffee or similar appliance for grinding the toasted rice)
Green onion, 2 stalks
Carrot, 1 small
1/2 Yellow bell pepper
1/2 SweeTango or Gala apple
Celery, 3-4 stalks from the heart
3 Cloud ear mushrooms, dried
Lemon and lime, thinly sliced, 2-3 slices of each
Beer (Schell’s Lager Lauf or similar), enough to pour over vegetables (optional)
Salad Dressing Ingredients:
1T Fish sauce
1/2 Lime, juiced
Salad Garnish Ingredients:
1T Brown, white, and wild rice (mixed)
- Bring a small pot of water to a boil. Place the dried cloud ear mushrooms in the water and boil for approx. 5 minutes or until tender. Remove from pot.
- Julienne the cloud ear mushrooms, green onion, carrot, bell pepper, apple and celery. Fill a large bowl with ice water and place the julienned vegetables and fruit inside. Set aside somewhere cool to chill.
- Peel and thinly slice the lemon and lime until you have several pieces of each. Set aside.
- Mix together sugar, fish sauce and lime and set aside.
- In a dry pan, toast the rice over medium heat until lightly browned (approx. 5 minutes), agitating the pan occasionally so the rice doesn’t pop. Grind the toasted rice to a fine consistency and set aside.
- When the steak and mushroom dishes are ready, remove the julienned salad ingredients from bowl, draining excess water. Toss with lemon and lime slices, drizzle with salad dressing and sprinkle with ground toasted rice.
- (OPTIONAL) After removing the vegetables from ice water and before adding the vinaigrette, rinse with Schell’s Lager Lauf beer.
6-8oz New York strip or rib eye steak
Salt and pepper
3-4 Dried porcini mushrooms
- Bring a small pot of water to a boil. Place the dried porcini mushrooms in the water and boil for approx. 5 minutes or until tender. Remove from pot and slice into strips.
- Salt and pepper the steak on both sides. Coat the bottom of the cast iron skillet with about an inch of oil. Fry the steak on high heat, flipping once, until medium. Remove the steak from the pan.
- Add the sliced porcini mushrooms to the oil and cook for several minutes until they start to crisp. Scoop from oil and use as garnish on the sliced steak.
2 Cups canola oil for frying
3-6 Crimini mushrooms, stemmed
3-6 Shitake mushrooms, stemmed
- Put the mushrooms in a bowl, add egg and sprinkle with cornstarch, mixing by hand or with a large spoon until the mushrooms are evenly coated.
- Heat the oil in a large deep skillet over medium-high heat. Place the mushrooms in the oil and fry until golden brown, about 3-5 minutes. Remove from pan, draining excess oil from the mushrooms.
1/2 BT McElrath dark chocolate bar
1/2T Brown sugar
1t Powdered sugar
- With a sharp knife, cut the top and bottom off the orange. Slice the orange in half and, using your knife, remove the skin and peel from the rest of the orange. Slice against the grain into even segments and arrange on the plate. Break the chocolate bar into segments and arrange next to the orange.
- In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg. Sprinkle evenly over the orange and chocolate then dust with powdered sugar.